Skip to main content

Coronavirus is still a danger

To help prevent the spread and stay safe you can:
• keep a distance from others
• wear face coverings in crowded and enclosed spaces
• wash hands often
• get your vaccine/booster when you’re eligible
• regularly test and self-isolate if required

Further guidance on how to stay safe and prevent the spread

Sign up to Leicestershire Matters for council updates

Help for young carers

If you're 18 and under and you look after someone at home, you can get help with care and your school work.

Talking to doctors and nurses if you're a young carer

Sometimes doctors, nurses and other healthcare workers are worried about telling you what is happening with your parent because you’re a child.

Speak to your worker about about a Young Carer's ID Card which you can show to doctors, nurses or healthcare staff.

The adult you look after or another adult in your family has to apply for the card on your behalf.

If you have a Young Carer ID card, doctors, nurses and other healthcare workers will be able to tell you about:

  • medication - what medicine, pills and injections the person is getting and the effects it can have
  • the condition of the person you look after and what is wrong with them
  • what might happen in the future with their illness or disability
  • what should happen when the person you look after leaves hospital and include you in any discussions

Going into hospital

If the adult you look after has to go into hospital, there are people who can make sure you have the information you need.

On the ward

Show your Young Carer ID card to the staff on the ward. They will then tell you about what is happening. They may also be able to arrange visiting times that fit around school or college.

Some wards have a Carers Advice, Support and Liaison Worker who can give you reassurance and information that you need.

Ask for the ward’s phone number so that you can phone if you’re worried about anything.

Hospital treatment for mental health issues

If the person you care for becomes very unwell, they may need to be admitted to an acute mental health ward in hospital.

The mental health crisis team will probably assess the person at home to decide if they can treat them at home or need to take them to hospital.

On a mental health ward

Show your Young Carer ID card to the staff on the ward. The person you care for will have a named nurse and you can speak to them at any time about any worries or concerns you may have.

You’ll be able to go to regular meetings with doctors and the person you care for to discuss their treatment and the plans for when they go home.

Get help to speak to doctors

If you or the person you care for would like help with talking to the doctors or telling them your views, contact an organisation called LAMP, which helps people with mental health problems with advocacy and information.

Telephone: 0116 255 6286

Coming home

If the person you care for needs more care, the Community Mental Health Team will assess them and arrange for them to see any of these:

  • psychiatrist
  • community psychiatric nurse
  • occupational therapist
  • social worker

They should listen to your views. Show them your Young Carer ID card.

Top of page