Equipment and home adaptations for disabled children

Your child may be eligible to help with day-to-day living, moving around and their development. You may also be able to get changes made to your home – known as ‘home adaptations’ – to help your child live more comfortably, safely and independently.

Your child will need to be assessed to see what equipment and home adaptations they need. Who you get an assessment from will depend on the type of equipment your child needs.

Personal equipment

You’ll need to get an assessment from the Children’s Therapy Service (which is part of the NHS) to see what equipment your child needs to help them do things like:

  • move around – for example, wheelchairs, walkers
  • day-to-day activities – for example eating, drinking, seating
  • play and develop

Ask your GP or health visitor to refer you to the Children’s Therapy Service.

Home equipment and adaptations

You’ll need to get an occupational therapy assessment for your child to see what adaptations or equipment they’ll need at home.

Contact your social worker, if you have one, or our Children’s First Response Duty team to ask for an assessment.

Children’s First Response Duty team
Telephone: 0116 305 0005

Minor adaptations

Minor adaptations to your home include:

  • grab rails
  • door widening
  • ramps

Equipment for personal care

Equipment to help your child at home includes:

  • specialist beds
  • toilet frames
  • shower seats
  • changing benches
  • hoists to lift and move your child

Major adaptations

Larger adaptations include:

  • level access showers
  • new rooms like wheelchair accessible bedrooms

Paying for adaptations and equipment

You won’t have to pay for minor adaptations or equipment.

You child may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant to pay for major adaptations. The occupational therapist can assess your child to see what they need. They’ll make recommendations to your district or city council who manage the grant.