Skip to main content

Parent carers assessment

You may be able to get help with your caring responsibilities if you’re a parent or carer of a disabled child.

We’ll need to talk to you to find out what help you need. This is called a ‘parent carers assessment’. 

Who can get a parent carers assessment

You can get a parent carers assessment if you’re the main carer for a child or young person up to the age of 18 who has either a:

  • physical or learning disability 
  • mental disorder

You don’t have to be the child’s parent, but they must live with you.

You need to ask adult social care for a carers assessment if the young person you look after is over 18 years old. 

You can get a young carers assessment if you’re under 18 years old and you look after someone else. 

If the Local Authority has offered early help involvement and your needs are being met through that service, there will be no parent carers assessment offered as the eligibility for one would not be met.

How the assessment is done

A social worker from our Children’s and Families Service will meet you. They’ll ask you about:

  • any difficulties you have because of your caring role – for example, the effect it is having on your health
  • what you need, to help you with your caring role 
  • doing activities with your other children

If you agree, they’ll ask the views of other organisations who help you, like your child’s school.

After the assessment

We’ll tell you:

  • if you can get help from us
  • what help we think you need

We’ll agree a care and support plan with you. 

You could get:

  • short breaks for your child to give you a break from caring
  • help with caring for your child – for example, help with bathing
  • adaptations to your home

Ask for a parent carers assessment

  • Speak to your worker from our Children’s and Families Services, if you have one
  • Telephone the First Response Children’s Duty team on 0116 305 0005 (Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm) 
  • Fill in the online Request for Family Services form

Other help you can get

Children’s Centres

You can get information and help from Children’s Centres if your child is up to 5 years old.

Charities and community groups

You may be able to get help directly from charities and local community groups.

Search for support groups for children with disabilities or telephone the Family Information Service on 0116 305 6545.

Top of page