Skip to main content

Covid - latest information

Coronavirus restrictions remain in place across the country – here’s the latest information on our services.

You can find more information about current restrictions and what you can and can't do

Sign up for the council's coronavirus updates

Short breaks for disabled children

Short breaks give children with disabilities experiences that help their personal and social development. They also give parents, carers and families a break from caring. They used to be called ‘respite care’.

Who can get a short break

You may be entitled to a short break if your child is:

  • disabled
  • up to 18 years old
  • living in Leicestershire, and
  • our assessment identifies that without the support your child would not be able to access the same opportunities as most other children of his or her age

We use the definition of disability in the Children Act 1989. A child is disabled if they are:

  • blind, deaf or mute
  • suffer from a mental condition – for example autism
  • severely disabled by illness, injury or a condition they’ve had from birth

An assessment will be carried out by either Early Help or a social work team looking at the over all needs of the family. Short breaks may or may not be recommended following this assessment.

Types of short break

Short breaks include:

  • daytime and overnight care in your home and elsewhere
  • evening and weekend care
  • school holiday care and play schemes


Top of page