Complain about children's social care

How to make a complaint

Step 1

Speak to your allocated worker or their manager.

Step 2

If you’ve already done this, use the online complaints form to ask the council’s Customer Relations Manager to investigate your complaint. You can also write a letter, email or telephone the Customer Relations Manager.

You must do this within 1 year of the event you’re complaining about.

We will usually respond within 10 working days (Monday to Friday) but will let you know if our investigation is going to take longer.

Step 3

If you’re still unhappy with our response, you may be able to ask for an independent investigation.

We may ask you to meet us or we may ask an independent person (known as a ‘mediator’) to meet you and us to find a solution to the problem.

We will usually write to you to tell you the results of the investigation within 25 working days of receiving your complaint.

Step 4

If you’re unhappy with the result of the investigation, ask the Customer Relations Manager to refer your complaint to a review panel.

The panel will be made up of 3 people from outside the council. You can write to the panel or speak at their meeting about your complaint.

The panel will suggest how the complaint can be resolved.

Local Government Ombudsman

Contact the Local Government Ombudsman if you’re unhappy with how we have dealt with your complaint.