Skip to main content

Our response to the coronavirus outbreak is continuing – and our focus is on keeping critical services running, particularly those supporting vulnerable people.

We are currently working through the detail of the latest government announcements which affect Leicester city and parts of the county. 

Find out more about the support and guidance available, and any changes to our services.

Increased restrictions for Leicester and parts of Leicestershire  

Get emergency contraception

If you’ve had unprotected sex and don’t want to get pregnant, you can get emergency contraception, so don’t delay going to a service.

Your options include:

  • an Emergency Hormonal Contraceptive (EHC) tablet which can be taken up to 120 hours or 5 days after unprotected sex
  • the IUD (copper coil) which is more effective than oral emergency contraception

Only women can be prescribed emergency contraception.  You can:

  • use the NHS - Clinic and service locator to search for sexual health service clinics or pharmacies that will prescribe the drug. Some pharmacies may prescribe emergency contraception free of charge if you are aged 24 or under
  • contact your GP (if you aren’t registered with a GP you can find and register with a GP)
  • contact your School Nurse, if you’re still at school or college, who’ll be able to help you.  You can also contact a School Nurse for advice, even during the school holidays, by texting Chat Health on 07520 615 387.  They’re open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday but not on bank holidays
Top of page