Skip to main content

Mainstream School Transport for 16 to 19 year olds

Last updated

Post 16 fixed grant 

Your child may be able to get assistance with transport costs to go to sixth form or college in the form of a fixed term grant of £150 per academic year. 


To be eligible a student must:

  • be aged 16 to 18 when they start their course
  • be studying a full time course

live more than 3 miles from:

  • their nearest school sixth form or freestanding further education/sixth form college

and either 

  • their nearest freestanding Leicestershire further education/sixth form college


  • their frozen Leicestershire school sixth form (the catchment school with a sixth form in areas where there have been no changes to catchments or age range since May 2012) - see the policy document for a list

The grant will only be provided for those student eligible according to the criteria above and: 

  • are from a qualifying low income family (students entitled to free school meals or whose parents are in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits or their maximum level of Working Tax Credit)


  • are rurally isolated which means they live more than a total of 75 minutes away (one way, measured in the morning) from their qualifying school, measured door to door using public transport

Please note: we don't take availability or location of courses into account. We will only provide assistance to the student's nearest educational establishment as described above and if the qualifying criteria are met.  

Applying online 

You have to apply each academic year for the school/college transport grant. To apply for the current academic year 2021/22, please use the link below:

Apply online for 2021/22 

2022/23 applications

Applications for the next academic year are currently not available. Please check back here from mid-April. For the 2022/23 academic year we aim to inform you of our decision by 31 October 2022, for all applications received by 30 September 2022. 

You can use the online form to provide proof of eligibility for Free school meals, or receipt of the maximum amount of Working Tax Credits. 

Other transport options  

You may be able to get season tickets and discounted fares on public transport for your child’s journey to school/college. 

Some commercial bus operators run ‘School specials’, ask the school or college for more information.  

Use the Choose How You Move journey planner to see what public transport services run between your home and your child’s school or college. Once you’ve found a service, check with the bus company that provides it to see if there are any season ticket discounts.   

Mainstream home to school and college transport policy

The Mainstream home to school/college transport policy includes detailed information on all aspects of the service, please refer to this before applying. 

Top of page