Apply for a brown tourist road sign

Brown tourism signs can be used to help guide people to a tourist destination. If your establishment meets the criteria you can apply for signs to be installed.


To be eligible for tourism signing your establishment must:

  • Normally be open for at least 4 hours per day and at least 150 days a year, and be accessible without the need to pre book.
  • Have sufficient amenities for people with disabilities. This includes a disabled toilet where toilets are available, suitable ramping for wheelchair users and designated parking.

There are also a number of specific conditions that must be met depending on the type of tourist attraction or facility. These are explained in the guidance document below. 

Occasionally we have to reject applications from eligible venues due to the number of signs already in place in a specific location. 


Non-refundable application fee: £180.50

Sign designs: first 4 signs - £106 per sign, £79.50 per sign thereafter

You must also pay for construction costs to install the signs. A scheme with 4 signs can cost anything upwards from £1000. As requirements vary depending on each site, construction costs can vary considerably and are paid before the signs are installed.

Although the signs remain the property of Leicestershire County Council, any maintenance or replacement costs are your responsibility.


The process will usually take at least 6 months to complete. Please bear this in mind when making your application. 


All customers will need to upload the following to complete the form:

  • A map image showing locations for where they want the tourist signs to be
  • Some evidence of previous promotions of the venue's location and how they give visitors clear directions to the venue
  • A document showing the venue's opening hours

Depending on the type of venue, some customers may need to upload the following (where applicable):

  • Written confirmation of partnership with VisitBritain (tourist information centres only)
  • Information supporting how the venue is of special interest to the tourism industry (retail establishments only)
  • Written confirmation from the Youth Hostels Association (youth hostels only)
  • Proof of membership to the Caravan Club, or Camping and Caravanning Club (camping and caravan sites only)
  • Up to date evidence that the site is licensed by us (camping and caravan sites only)

Request a Tourism Sign

If you require any further information, please contact Highways Customer Services on 0116 305 0001.