Skip to main content

Phone 999 if a crime is being committed or if someone is in immediate danger.

Contact Leicestershire police on 101 if you think a crime has been committed but there is no immediate danger.

Contact us if you think someone is:

  • at risk of being abused
  • being abused in a care home
  • being abused by a care worker in their home

Adult Social Care
Telephone: 0116 305 0004
(Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 5pm, Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm)

Emergency Duty Team
Telephone: 0116 255 1606 

(Evenings, weekends, Bank Holidays)

If you know there is already a social worker involved, contact them directly or phone your local office.

Recognise abuse

Examples of abuse include:

  • physical – hitting, slapping, rough handling, restraining roughly, using medication to keep someone drowsy
  • neglect – causing someone harm by not giving them the care or help they need
  • psychological – making threats, harassment, humiliation, forcing someone to live somewhere they don’t want to
  • financial - pressuring someone to give away money, stealing money or benefits
  • sexual
  • institutional - repeated instances of poor or inappropriate care in a care home or by a group of carers, such as rigid and insensitive routines or lack of privacy

Abusers can be anyone:

  • relatives and partners
  • friends
  • care workers
  • another resident of a care home
  • strangers

What we can do to keep you safe

Rules and laws keeping you safe    Opens new window

Get advice

Phone the Action Elder Abuse helpline for advice and to talk about concerns you may have.

Action on Elder Abuse helpline
0808 808 8141
(Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)
(Find out about telephone charges)

Limiting someone’s freedom when they can’t give consent

There are laws to stop care homes and hospitals from limiting a person’s freedom if they aren’t able to give consent for where they are treated. This is known as ‘deprivation of liberty’.

There are steps you can take if you think a care home or hospital is limiting someone else’s freedom in this way.

Complain about care

If you don’t think someone is being abused but you aren’t happy with the standard of care, you can report it to us.

Top of page