Skip to main content

Our response to the coronavirus outbreak is continuing – and our focus is on keeping critical services running, particularly those supporting vulnerable people.

We are currently working through the detail of the latest government announcements which affect Leicester city and parts of the county. 

Find out more about the support and guidance available, and any changes to our services.

Increased restrictions for Leicester and parts of Leicestershire announced 

Services for 'looked after' children and young people

‘Looked after’ children or young people can get help and services from us to keep them safe and happy and to make sure they are given opportunities to better themselves and reach their goals.

Social worker teams

Your placement in care is arranged by the social worker teams.  They make sure your health and education needs are taken of, help you stay in touch with your family (if this is right for you) and make sure your placement is giving you the best possible care.

You may get help from the:

  • Family Assessment Service  - the service is usually involved in cases lasting up to 3 months
  • Child Protection Team or Children in Care Team – these teams are involved in cases that take longer than 3 months

Members of the social worker teams

You may get help from one or more members of the social worker teams.  They can help you to understand what each members does and who might be involved in your care.

Not all workers are social workers.

Extended Young Peoples Support Worker

Extended Young Peoples Support Workers are usually based in the Children in Care teams and help social workers with their work.  They work with older children and young people who are leaving care.

Support Workers

Support Workers deal with a lot of the running around and manage tasks like taking you places and helping to move your things.

Support and Assessment Workers

Support and Assessment Workers work on cases they are leading on and are experienced in working with children and young people.  They also oversee contact with your family (if needed).

Registered Social Workers

Registered Social Workers are experienced in working with children and families and are the main people involved in making sure your placement meets all your needs.  They’ll organise your reviews, medicals, education needs and any other requirements you may have.

Senior Practitioners

Senior Practitioners are registered social worker with lots of experience of working with children and young people. They work on their own cases and help workers with less experience with their cases.

Also see

Top of page