Skip to main content

Get help at home

You may be able to get help in your own home if you have a disability or illness or because you’re unable to do some things for yourself any more.

Assessment and eligibility

Before we give you help at home, we will do an assessment to find out about your situation and what changes you’d like to make in your life. We will usually visit you at home. We will look at things like:

You could get someone who is independent of the council to help you during your assessment.

Who can get help

You must be both of these:

  • 18 years old or over
  • living in Leicestershire

We will look at 3 key things to decide if someone qualifies for help from us. They must meet all 3 of these conditions:

  • they need help due to physical or mental impairment or illness
  • as a result of their needs they're not able to achieve 2 or more of the specified outcomes
  • as a consequence of being unable to achieve these outcomes there is, or there is likely to be, a significant impact on their wellbeing

Specified outcomes

As a result of the needs, the adult is unable to achieve 2 or more of the following:

  • managing and maintaining nutrition
  • maintaining personal hygiene
  • managing toilet needs
  • being appropriately clothed
  • moving around your home safely
  • maintaining a habitable home environment
  • being able to make use of the home safely
  • developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
  • accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
  • making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community including public transport and recreational facilities or services
  • carrying out any caring responsibilities the adult has for a child

Impact on wellbeing

As a consequence, there is or is likely to be a significant impact on the adult's wellbeing, including the following:

  • personal dignity (including treatment of the individual with respect)
  • physical and mental health and emotional wellbeing
  • protection from abuse and neglect
  • control by the individual over day-to-day life (including over care and support provided and the way it is provided)
  • participation in work, education, training or recreation
  • social and economic wellbeing
  • domestic, family and personal relationships
  • suitability of living accommodation
  • the individual’s contribution to society

'The Care Act: easy-read version' gives more details.

Ask for an assessment

Contact Adult Social Care to ask for an assessment.

Adult Social Care
Telephone: 0116 305 0004

After the assessment

We will give you a copy of your assessment. If we think you do need help from us, we will give you a care and support plan that will set out what type of care we have agreed with you that you need.

Financial assessment

If you need help from us, we will do a financial assessment to decide what you can afford to pay towards the cost of your care, if anything.

If your financial assessment shows you have to pay for all your care, you can get help at home from private care agencies and personal assistants.

The Care Quality Commission inspects all private care agencies.

Also see

Help us improve this page Hide content
Top of page