Skip to main content

New restrictions have been announced in Charnwood to stop the spread of COVID-19

Tighter rules are needed because cases of the virus are increasing amongst all age groups – particularly young people and those over 60.

Most of Leicestershire is in tier 1 – ‘medium’ risk. Residents in Charnwood and Oadby & Wigston are in tier 2 – ‘high risk’.

You can explore what the new High alert level means.

Coronavirus updates for parts of Leicestershire 

Disabled facilities grant

If you have a permanent or substantial disability, you may be entitled to a means-tested disabled facilities grant (DFG) to help with the cost of adapting your home to meet your essential needs.

Home adaptations

Changes to your home should be necessary and appropriate to your needs, such as:

  • giving you access to your home and facilities
  • making your home safer for you
  • improving the heating system in your home

You can use the grant to:

  • install access ramps
  • widen door ways
  • install a stair lift
  • have a level access shower fitted

How to apply

Contact Adult Social Care for a care and support assessment to provide you with advice and an eligibility assessment in your own home. If you’re eligible you’ll be referred to your local district or borough council.

You or the property owner can apply for the grant as long as you intend to live in the property for 5 years (the ‘grant period’).

To find out more about disabled facilities grants, visit's disabled facilities grants page.


Top of page