Skip to main content

Forms offline Saturday morning: Due to some scheduled systems maintenance, online forms will be unavailable this Saturday morning, 25 September.


High volume of school applications

The School Admissions service is currently experiencing high volumes of school applications for the start of September 2021/22 academic year. 

We're working through applications and ask for your patience and request that you wait until you have heard from us. 

Where possible the aim remains to meet our target of issuing a decision within 10 to 15 school days from the start of the new academic year. If 15 school days have not yet passed since you applied, please don't call for a decision.

We have now published School Term Dates 2022 - 2027.

We are continuing to process mid-term and transfer applications during this time — see latest information below.

If your child is at primary, junior or secondary school and you want to move them to a different school during the school year, you need to apply. This is called a mid-term or in-year transfer.

Latest Covid information

For those parents wishing to transfer or change their child’s school for 2021, we will continue to process applications, however this may mean even though a place is agreed and offered, your child’s start date may be delayed until schools fully re-open. During this time you should continue to engage with your current school to receive an online provision.

Parents new to Leicestershire, with children who have no school place, are encouraged to apply and we will endeavour to secure you a place at a school of your preference in order for your child to access an online provision until schools re-open.

Our understanding is the re-opening of schools will be reviewed at Spring half-term, which for community schools is the third week in February 2021. If your school is an Academy, you are advised to check with them directly about when their Spring half-term will be.

Before you apply

If you are applying for an Academy, Foundation, Voluntary Aided school, Trust school or Free school, you need to check with the school whether a supplementary application form is needed.

Moving school as you’re moving house

If you're moving house and your child / children are already at a school, but will no longer be able to attend that school, you need to:

  • tell the school that you're moving, the school will inform us to enable us to update our records.
  • find a school in Leicestershire.

If you'll no longer live in Leicestershire, you need to find a school in the area you will live in

It is important that your child continues to attend school, where possible.

Moving school due to a dispute or another reason

You should think very carefully whether moving your child to another school is the best option for your child.

Most problems parents and children have can be sorted out by talking to the child or speaking to relevant people at the school eg teachers, tutors, Head of Year, Headteacher, school Education Welfare Officer.

There is no guarantee that your preferred school(s) will be able to offer your child a place. You should not remove your child from their current school before you have an offer of a place at another school.

Meeting the criteria

Before you apply for your child’s school place, please make sure the following applies to you:  

  1. You know what Leicestershire school you would like your child to go to.
    If you’re not sure, use our find a school search.
  2. You know how your child will get to school
    If not, see the school transport section.
  3. You’ve read the Your Guide to education for primary or secondary applications, which includes everything you need to know to apply for a school place and the priority criteria for how school places are allocated. Allocations are made using the admissions criteria and not the preference order. Choosing more than one school doesn't affect how your higher preference school(s) are considered. 
    You can view the catchment area map in the find a school search or on the school's website.
  4. You've read the Hints and Tips below.


If you’re ready to apply...

Apply online for a school place

Please note: if you haven't used the portal before or for more than 12 months, you will need to register.

If you need help registering or changing your details on the portal -  view our parent guide: 

Parents guide to registering or changing your details through the citizen portal Opens new window

Please contact the Customer Service Centre on 0116 305 6684 if you need a paper form.

What happens next

  • We aim to process all mid-term applications within 20 school days, although at peak times it may take longer.
  • Please be aware if you have not applied by 16 June, it is very unlikely that you will get a new school place secured for the start of the autumn term, due to school closures over the summer.
  • If you are unsuccessful, you have a right to appeal against a school place. Your results letter will outline the process.

Hints and Tips for applying

Hints and tips to help you with your application:

  • If you’re applying for more than one child to change school, you need to complete a separate application for each child.
  • Use your right to apply for three schools, but make sure that one choice is always your catchment school (available on the school’s website).
  • Read each school’s admissions policy before making an application; available on either the School policies page or the school's website - check the Your Guide to education - list of schools for more information.
  • You should only include additional information if it is relevant to the school's admission criteria.
  • If more than one parent has legal responsibility for your child, both parents must be in agreement over the school(s) requested.
  • Check that you press the 'submit' button and receive an acknowledgement email. If not, try again or contact School Admissions.
  • Make a note of your username and password.

Back to 'Apply'

Top of page