Help and support for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

If you have a child or children with Special Education Needs and Disability (SEND), who are substantially affected in their everyday living by a disability, our Disabled Children’s Service provide advice, support and practical help, until your child is 18 years old.

We have a team of highly skilled and qualified social workers and occupational therapists, who will talk to you and your child to establish which services you may be eligible for. We may, with your permission, also liaise closely with other professionals such as teachers, health visitors and doctors.

We work in partnership with parents and this includes assessment of your needs as a carer. We also have close links with voluntary agencies involved with disability.

For young people who need ongoing services after the age of 18, we make sure that we've set up plans to ensure a smooth transition to adult services. We work with the education service and transition workers to help the young person and the family prepare for adulthood.

Types of services we offer for disabled children

  • Direct Payments and Short Breaks
  • Occupational Therapy Service
  • Advice and support

Assessing your child's need

When we’re assessing your child’s needs, wherever possible, we talk directly to them, so that we take their wishes and feelings into account when planning for services to support them.

During the assessment we will:

  • gather important information about your child and your family
  • analyse the needs and/or the nature of support needed, considering any risk or harm being suffered by your child
  • decide whether your child is a child in need and/or is suffering significant harm
  • provide appropriate support to address any concerns and get the best from your child

All referrals are first taken by social workers in our First Response Children’s Duty team. This is to check that families are referred to the correct service within children's social care.

Sometimes, calls are made to parents and professionals involved such as teachers or nurses to get more information before they are passed onto the most appropriate service area.

Use our Request for Services online form to request some help. Requests for help can be made by a young person themselves, their family, friends or by professionals supporting them. Referrals need the consent and engagement of families.

Please have the necessary information ready. You have 60 minutes to complete the form.

Request for services