Skip to main content

Paying for your care and support

You should expect to pay towards the cost of your care. The amount you pay depends on your level of need and the value of your income, savings and assets.

Last updated

The cost of care can be high.  If you’re planning for your future care and support needs, it’s important to get independent financial advice on how you can best meet these costs.

Funding your own care and support

If you have more than £23,250 in savings and assets that we include as part of the financial assessment, you’ll have to pay the full cost of the care. This means you are a self-funder and may wish to arrange this privately. 

Care and support that’s not means-tested

Some types of care and support aren’t means tested and you won’t have to pay for them even if you have savings and assets. These are:

Support with paying for care

Care and support assessment

You can have a free care and support assessment to see if you have eligible care and support needs.

Financial assessment

If you do have eligible care and support needs, you can have a financial assessment to see how much you’ll need to contribute towards your care:

  • See how much you, or a relative, may need to pay to have care and support in your/their own home. Use the Care Contribution Estimator and/or complete the online financial self-assessment for care at home.
  • If you or a relative may have to move into a care home, see what you or they may have to pay. Use our Care Contribution Estimator and/or complete the online financial self-assessment for moving into a care home.

Also see

Benefits for adults

Changes to benefits when you go into a care home

Disabled facilities grant

Care homes costing more than we will pay

Using your home to pay for your care home



Top of page