5 to 16 year olds
Frequently asked questions on home to school transport for the 2020/21 academic year in response to the Coronavirus pandemic.
Eligibility for 5 to 16 year olds
Your child will qualify for free SEND school transport if they have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) and are attending the school allocated by the Local Authority, identified in their most current EHCP as meeting their needs, or a nearer qualifying school.
And the school is more than:
- 2 miles from where they live for primary age pupils (up to 11 years old)
- 3 miles from where they live for secondary age pupils (11 to 16 years old)
We will still consider your child for free SEND school transport if:
- you live less than 2 miles (for primary age pupils) or less than 3 miles (for secondary age pupils) from your allocated school
- they don’t have an EHCP but their sensory, physical, medical or behavioural difficulties stop them from getting to school even with help from a parent or carer
How to apply
If you wish to apply for transport assistance for the remainder of the current academic year 2020/21, please use the form below.
Apply for SEND school transport - 2021/22 academic year
The application form normally takes around 20 minutes to complete.
- We won’t be able to offer your child transport assistance if you don’t fill this in.
- We may contact you to find out more about your child to make sure they get the most suitable transport assistance.
- It will take up to 15 working days from the date that we receive the form to organise transport assistance (this can be up to 6 weeks in busy periods, like summer).
- The closing date to ensure transport assistance is in place for the start of the new academic year is 9 July 2021.
If your child is starting, or moving up to their next school, we will contact you if they are eligible. This does not apply to mid-term transfers.
You may need to give us more information to help us work out:
- whether your child is eligible for transport assistance to school
- what the best type of transport assistance will be for your child
We may telephone you to find out more about your child to make sure they get the most suitable transport assistance.
If you are eligible
We will usually contact you to tell you whether your child is eligible for transport assistance to school. We’ll send you information about the type of assistance e.g. school bus, taxi, personal transport budget (PTB) or any other details about your child’s transport before the start of the autumn term.
If you’re not eligible
If your child does not qualify for transport assistance, you can:
- ask us to check again if you think we’ve made a mistake
- provide us with more information that could change our decision
- make an appeal
If you are moving home you’ll need to apply online again using the Apply online link above.