Check if you need a waste permit
Appointments are no longer required to visit a waste site, but you'll need a permit if you're using a:
Van, pick-up truck or any vehicle designed or altered to carry goods, including 4x4s, car derived vans and tippers*
Trailer 4 foot 6 inches (1.37 metres) long or over (from front board to back board)*
Please note: No vehicles weighing more than 7.5 tonnes are permitted at any of the waste sites.
Apply for a household waste permit online
- Permits are available to Leicestershire county residents only. The online application will not proceed if you live in the city or neighbouring counties.
- There is one online application process, just select the type of permit you need.
- Permits are free of charge.
- Permits are valid for one recycling and household waste site.
- Permits are valid for 14 days from the start date you choose, during which you can visit the site at any time within opening hours.
- Permits are emailed to you the day before the start date.
- Permits are registered to one person and one vehicle – they are non-transferable.
- Household chemical waste permit applications require approval and are not processed during weekends, so please allow sufficient time for the permit to be processed.
- You must have the permit before attending the waste site.
Online application process for waste permits
Apply for a waste permit using a 'Self' account - if you already have one, click the green button below to start your application.
If you don't have a Self account yet, just Sign up using your email address:
- You will receive a verification email (check spam/junk folders) - just click the link in the email to verify your account. Add your name and address in the profile form and click Submit.
You can complete online applications at any time by following the link below and logging in. See a list of your application(s) in the My Requests area.
Apply online for a waste permit Log in with your Self account details
Booking online is quicker and easier, but if you don’t have an email address and require a waste permit, please contact our customer services team. Call waiting times might be considerable as we regularly deal with high numbers of calls during this time.
Changes to vehicle ownership or address
Household waste permits are short term and don't need updating.
Renewing a waste permit
You apply for a new permit as and when you need one, you cannot renew a permit.