Skip to main content

Report a road problem

You can tell us about problems or defects on roads or pavements, such as potholes, through our online form

You can report most types of problem with roads or pavements online, this includes:

  • Potholes (contact Highways England to report motorway or major trunk road potholes)
  • Grit bin refills and grit bin damage
  • Overgrown trees or hedges
  • Damaged drains or manhole covers
  • Damage to road signs (please note - we don't clean road signs)
  • Problems with traffic lights

Please provide as much information as you can about the problem and include a photo of the issue if safe to do so. This helps us respond and deal with it as quickly as possible.

Report the problem online

Some problems like graffiti, fly-tipping and abandoned vehicles must be reported to your district council. 

How we deal with road problems


All potholes need to be classified, before repairs can be scheduled. 

When a member of the public reports a pothole, we will ensure an inspector visits and classifies the problem within 14 days.

The pothole is classified according to how serious it is and this dictates how quickly it is fixed:

Category 1 defects

  • Require prompt attention as they represent an immediate or imminent hazard or a risk of short-term structural deterioration.
  • These defects will be fixed or made safe at the time of inspection, if reasonably practicable.
  • If it’s not possible to fix or make the defect safe at time of inspection, repairs of a temporary, or permanent nature will be done within 3 working days.

Category 2 defects

  • Require attention, but do not represent an immediate or imminent hazard.
  • These defects have a target repair period of 90 calendar days from being reported by the public or will be included within a planned highways maintenance programme.

Grass, hedges and trees

Grass cutting is scheduled between March and October, but is dependent on weather and may be subject to change.

Hedges and trees in general, are the responsibility of the adjacent landowner, although a small proportion do form part of the highway assets.

It may be worth notifying the adjacent landowner before contacting us, as they might be able to resolve the issue. 

We will ensure an inspector visits and investigates the problem within 14 days.

For grass cutting issues, we will try and get these resolved as soon as possible.

For tree and hedge issues, we will find out who is responsible and ask them to cut back the trees within a reasonable timescale. If they don’t we will arrange to undertake the work ourselves and recharge them.

Help us improve this page Hide content
Top of page